Just a note to let you know how things are going with Ezra. He is continuing to improve. As of writing this email he is completely unplugged from all the machines and just sleeping in a bassinet. He is feeding from the bottle (no more feeding tubes!) and Sarah has even started to breast feed a couple times. Right now we are waiting for his blood tests to come back negative for the bacteria that caused his infection. After the tests are negative, he will be on antibiotics for another 7 days, then he will be released. We are hoping that it will be in the next week that he comes home. We have really appreciated all of your prayers and emails over the last few weeks; we can't wait to bring him home!
Ezra is continuing to improve. The doctor's say that the infection is nearly gone and even I can see that his swelling is early gone as well. Right now he needs for his lungs to finish developing. There is mucus in his lungs from being intubated for the surgery and he needs to expel it on his own. His breathing rate is still a little bit on the high side but it is gradually slowing down. He is tollerating feeding and is up to 25cc's of Sarah's milk every two hours and his digestive tract is doing well. The big thing to pray for is that he gets the mucus out of his lungs and that his breathing rate slows down. One doctor has told us that there is a good chance that he might come home this week! We can't wait! thanks for all your prayers and support over these last few weeks, Jason and Sarah
we got to see Ezra again today and he is doing pretty well. The doctors continue to say that surgery went well. right now they are concerned about two things: 1. he has developed an infection in his abdomen and has needed some pretty strong antibiotics to help fight it off. 2. also the albumin levels in his body are very low. Albumin is what helps the bodies cells store fluids, so he looks a little bit swollen. They have started to replace the albumin in his body. Other then that his heart is strong and he is breathing fairly well. we will continue to covet your prayers for Ezra, Jason and Sarah.
Today we learned that Ezra would need surgery on his aortic artery that leads from his heart to the rest of his body. The medical term for his condition is “Coarctation of the Aorta”. Essentially the aortic artery is fairly narrow and is restricting the flow of blood to the lower extremities of this body. The doctor was happy because Ezra’s aortic artery is not completely shut which is fairly typical for this condition. As the doctor explained the possibilities and complications our hearts could only flutter with anxiety. While our minds easily worry, it is times like these that we really appreciate God’s love that is so readily revealed by those around us. With a struggle that seems much to large for us, what else can we do but lean back into the arms of our loving Father. Details: Currently Ezra had a port (a semi permanent iv line) inserted into his neck so that the doctors can strengthen his heart with medication. This will be removed after the surgery. They had to use a port because his ivs kept slipping out of place because his veins are so small. Sarah misunderstood the doctor about the time of the surgery and the surgery will not be until Wednesday morning (unless an emergency arises), so we will covet your prayers for us and for Ezra during this time. They are delaying the surgery so the medication will have time to take effect before they operate. Thanks for your love and attention, it is through you that we see the hands and face of God Jason and Sarah (and Ezra)
*Ezra* Ezra is doing well these days. He is still in the NICU but he is progressing. He is off oxygen and is breathing on his own. He is on an antibiotic treatment that will end on Tuesday. His breathing is still a little irregular still but is doing a whole bunch better. The last xray of his lungs still showed a little bit of fluid in them. Since he is off his oxygen we have been able to hold him, which has made sarah very happy. *Sarah* Sarah was released on Wednesday night and she is progressing very well. She is on some medication to lessen the pain and continue to help prevent infection. She is expressing her milk and the doctors are feeding it to Ezra through a feeding tube. thanks for all your prayers and support over these last few days!
*Wednesday (May 13th)* Sarah was feeling some contractions through out the day, but they were not regular but seemingly stronger then she had felt before. She finished out the day and we had our last youth group of the year that night. We were in bed around 9:30ish but Sarah could not sleep as her contractions worsened and became more regular. *Thursday (May 14th)* Thursday morning Sarah woke me up as she couldn’t sleep because the contractions kept on coming. I put on a movie (that always puts her to sleep) but she wasn’t able to calm down. I remembered that false labor can sometimes be slowed down by a little bit of physical activity, so around 4 in the morning we walked up to school and walked around the circle for a bit. When we got home, Sarah was able to sleep for a little bit because the contractions had lessened. We woke up around 5:30 and 6:00 and the contractions were still going on and were pretty regular. Sarah had called her doctor and she told us to come in to get checked out even though Sarah’s water had not broken. We asked the school nurse and she suggested that we at least go ahead and get checked out. We decided to go to the hospital and I walked up to school to borrow a car. So we drove to the hospital and it only took us 45 minutes and we got to do counter flow on the way! Upon arriving we checked in and fairly soon we were taken up to maternity and immediately Sarah was taken in for observation and I got to start waiting. A little while later the resident came and told me that Sarah was dilated to 4cm. They had given her medicine to stop the contractions and steroids to strengthen the baby’s lungs. An hour later the resident came out and told me that the contractions hadn’t stopped yet and that there was a good chance that we would have a baby today. An hour later she came out again and told me that the contractions had lessened and that she was calming down. Around 11:30AM I got to go in and see Sarah and she was tired but doing well. We could only talk for a bit and I had to leave until the next visiting hours around 5:00pm. Throughout the afternoon Sarah was still having mild contractions but was not dilating any more. That afternoon I read and waited and finally went and got something to eat. When I went to see her again they told me that her water broke so we were going to have a baby soon! It was then that they stopped the medicine that was stopping the contractions. Sarah started to slowly progress and Becky Beck arrived at the hospital to help out and keep us company. Sarah started to progress slowly again and the contractions were getting stronger. It was here that they moved her to a new room and I could come in and be with her all the time. It was around 10:50 that the contractions were very strong and were starting to slow the heart of the baby. The doctor decided that she needed to do an emergency c-section to get the baby out quickly. Sarah was wheeled away and I then had to wait for the longest 30 min of my life. It was so hard to sit there and watch people run in and out of the operation room and being unable to do anything. A little while later all my fears were set aside as I got to see our new baby BOY born at 11:20! *Current Status of Sarah and Ezra!* Ezra is in Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and is doing well. He is in an oxygen rich environment in an incubator. He also has a nose mask on to help the flow of oxygen to his lungs. He is doing really well and we are basically waiting for his lungs to finish developing. We don’t know when we will be able to come home yet. bq. Sarah is recovering well from her surgery. She is up and walking and eating a full diet. Her incision is healing really well and we expect her to be discharged in the next few days. She is pumping milk and can’t wait to hold the baby! bq. Jason is tired but very excited and can’t wait to take everyone home!